Member Support Specialist
Summary of Position: The Member Support Specialist is responsible for day to day work related to revenue collection, office support, maintaining and administration of member data, creating efficiencies, ensuring the timely processing of revenue and related reports, working with Officers, Directors and other personnel to ensure implementation of the Vision and Mission of SEIU HCMN. Member Support Specialists report directly to the Director of Office Administration.
SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is dedicated to building an organization which advances social and economic justice through work on local, state, national and even global policy issues which affect our members; our patients, residents and clients; and our communities.
In order for SEIU Healthcare Minnesota to fulfill its core functions effectively, it is essential that all employees perform their jobs in solidarity with the membership and leadership of SEIU Healthcare consistently. Member Support Specialists must maintain respectful, professional relationships with union members, stewards and other leaders, co-workers, the union leadership, and workers the union is organizing. Employees must also show a respectful, professional demeanor at work-sites and in the community. Efforts by any employee to undermine or interfere with the legitimate and lawful goals and priorities of SEIU Healthcare Minnesota will not be tolerated.
Areas of work responsibility include the following:
- Support the day to day work of the union by completing mailings, filing (electronically and paper), copies, processing mail, and other duties
- Complete billing and posting of dues and other related functions to ensure revenue is properly received and maintained
- Effective and positive communication with employers to ensure the efficient and correct collection of revenue and to protect SEIU HCMN members
- Properly identify violations of the CBA as it relates to Union Security, address with employer and notify the appropriate people to remedy the violation
- Maintain all data of members, dues, employers and all additional information held in data bases
- Welcoming members and guests at the front desk and assisting with direction and needs including documenting issue in Unionware as needed.
- Deliver positive member service to members who call regarding dues or when answering phones though the MAC
- Track and facilitate contract openers and contract maintenance
- Create, proof, redline written documents
- Coordinate logistical support for events and meetings held in the office and off-site, including calendar maintenance, ordering food, travel arrangements, hotel reservations
- Other work to ensure the achievement of the mission and goals of SEIU Healthcare Minnesota, including political campaigns, organizing, contract campaigns, job actions, blitz campaigns, supporting partner organizations, and other duties as may be assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in politically sensitive situations and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to manage complex information, internal and external challenges, and potential high levels of conflict.
- Ability to work through difficult problems with members, employers or other organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish rapport with workers in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups and to mobilize workers around issues.
- Able to work long hours, including nights and weekends, even if required on short notice.
- Able to travel, drive significant distances and stay overnight.
Behavioral Qualifications Needed
- Good judgment and ability to discern priorities when faced with many important tasks.
- Work under pressure independently and accommodate high levels of stress.
- Maintain rapport with diverse members.
- Demonstrate in all circumstances dedication to members and the ability to fight back effectively against all attempts to divide members or weaken the union.
- Ability to handle challenging situations and turn them around to have the best outcome.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality, both for health care workers being organized and on internal Local and International issues.
- Show professional demeanor at work-sites and in the community.
- Maintain a respectful, professional relationship with officers, directors, supervisors, field staff, co-workers, members, and union stewards.
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a Union setting, directly with dues, office support, data bases, vendors, mailings, etc.
- H.S. Graduate or equivalent
Submit cover letter and resume to Rasha Ahmad Sharif at Rasha.Ahmadsharif@seiuhcmn.org