Through the MNA Foundation the Minnesota Nurses Association has established the Mary Eliza Mahoney Scholarship, named in honor of America’s first African-American graduate nurse. This scholarship will provide financial support to a fellow union member who wants to become a nurse and a member of the MNA. This scholarship serves to recognize an outstanding union member who has begun their path to a nursing career.
The Mahoney scholar will receive $2,500 per semester of nursing school up to a total of $10,000.
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT CRITERIA
- Must be a union member of a healthcare union in good standing.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited nursing program and must have completed a minimum of one semester.
- Indigenous people and people of color especially encouraged to apply.
- Online Application Form (to be found on the MNA website): https://mnnurses.org/resources/mnaf/
- Official Academic Transcript
- An essay (maximum 2 pages) that addresses the following:
- Describe your experience of diversity and inclusion in healthcare.
- Why do you want to become a nurse?
- What does being a union member mean to you?
- 3 letters of recommendation:
- 1 recommendation must be from your union leadership (for example: a steward, elected leader or staff person from SEIU).
- 1 recommendation must be from an academic source, a faculty member who has taught you in class or an academic advisor.
- 1 recommendation may be from a personal reference. This person may be a co-worker or a manager who can comment on your work ethic. This person could also be someone from your community, a religious organization, or related to volunteer work or any areas of leadership in your life.
- Complete applications are due by June 1, 2019.
- No incomplete or late applications will be considered.
If you have questions about the application process contact Linda Owens at 1-800-536-4662, ext. 122, 651-414-2822, or Linda.Owens@mnnurses.org.
If you have questions about the application requirements contact Megan Gavin at 1-800-536-4662, ext. 162, 651-414-2862, or Megan.Gavin@mnnurses.org.