SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is a union representing 35,000 health care workers who have united to build strong communities, a health care system that works for everyone, and to reclaim the American Dream.
We are looking to fill an Organizer in Training position in the External Organizing department. The position is a learning/training position with a commitment of one year if person continues to meet performance and behavioral expectations. The OiT position may lead to a permanent position, once the year long training is complete.
- Support and lead diverse workers during organizing drives.
- Perform other tasks needed in an organizing campaign, including research, list-building, data entry, charting, and creating event calendars, newsletters and campaign flyers.
- Communicate individually with workers through house visits and phone calls.
- Assess, move and test workers who want to organize.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying, recruiting and developing worker leaders.
- Understand and clearly explain labor rights and contract language.
- Function with a high degree of independence, doing continuous organizing at assigned facilities.
- Establish rapport with workers in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Creatively and effectively fight back against employers’ anti-union campaigns.
File election petitions with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Local.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Strong planning, time-management and problem-solving skills.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as needed
- Fluency in languages other than English highly preferred.
- Excellent listening skills, especially the ability to draw out people’s individual stories by asking open-ended questions.
- Ability to communicate clearly with people from widely varying ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- High School Diploma or GED required; Secondary Education preferred.
Qualified applicants should email a résumé, cover letter, and references to Kassie Hobbs, Organizing Director at Kassie.firstname.lastname@example.org stating clearly that they are applying for the “Organizer In Training” position. Deadline to apply is August 31, 2020.