Through the MNA Foundation the Minnesota Nurses Association has established the Mary Eliza Mahoney Scholarship, named in honor of America’s first African-American graduate nurse. This scholarship will provide financial support to a fellow union member who wants to become a nurse and a member of the MNA. This scholarship serves to recognize an outstanding union member who has begun their path to a nursing career.
The Mahoney scholar will receive $2,500 per semester of nursing school up to a total of $10,000.
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT CRITERIA
- Must be a union member of a healthcare union in good standing.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited nursing program and must have completed a minimum of one semester.
- Indigenous people and people of color especially encouraged to apply.
- Online Application Form (to be found on the MNA website): https://mnnurses.org/resources/mnaf/
- Official Academic Transcript
- An essay (maximum 2 pages) that addresses the following:
- Describe your experience of diversity and inclusion in healthcare.
- Why do you want to become a nurse?
- What does being a union member mean to you?
- 3 letters of recommendation:
- 1 recommendation must be from your union leadership (for example: a steward, elected leader or staff person from SEIU).
- 1 recommendation must be from an academic source, a faculty member who has taught you in class or an academic advisor.
- 1 recommendation may be from a personal reference. This person may be a co-worker or a manager who can comment on your work ethic. This person could also be someone from your community, a religious organization, or related to volunteer work or any areas of leadership in your life.
- Complete applications are due by June 1, 2019.
- No incomplete or late applications will be considered.
If you have questions about the application process contact Linda Owens at 1-800-536-4662, ext. 122, 651-414-2822, or Linda.Owens@mnnurses.org.
If you have questions about the application requirements contact Megan Gavin at 1-800-536-4662, ext. 162, 651-414-2862, or Megan.Gavin@mnnurses.org.
We had a record number of members enter our union’s scholarship contest last month. The essays submitted were all terrific! We want to thank all of the members and children of members who participated! Congratulations to the winners of the January Scholarship Essay Contest.
Mindy Tomfohrde Scholarships Contest Winners:
- Wendy Harrison, St. Francis
- Jessica Determan, HealthPartners
Got your Back Scholarship Contest Winners:
- Krysta Anderson, Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital
- Yasmin Banishoraka, Home Care
Cecelia Razook Scholarship Contest Winner:
- Jacob Elfmann, child of HealthPartners member Mary Elfmann
Dr. Martin Luther King Scholarship Winner:
- Makeda Tadesse, child of United Hospital member Medhin Abuhay
The next scholarship opportunity will be for Fall Semester. The deadline to submit is August 31, 2019. For more information go to: seiuhealthcaremn.org/member-resources/scholarships/
WORKSITE: Stillwater Medical Group
1500 Curve Crest Blvd
Stillwater, MN 55082
Internal Organizer: Youssef El Hamawi