SEIU Healthcare Minnesota represents over 40,000 healthcare and long term care workers in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and home care across Minnesota. SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is dedicated to building an organization which advances social and economic justice through work on local, state, national and even global policy issues which affect our members; our patients, residents and clients; and our communities. Focused on uniting workers in healthcare, long term care, and home care, SEIU members are winning better wages, healthcare and more secure jobs for our communities, uniting their strength with their counterparts around the state and world to help ensure that workers benefit from today’s global economy.
Summary of Position:
The Member Action Center Support Specialist is responsible for answering the Member Action Center phones and email, servicing incoming member calls and emails, answering members’ questions, fielding members’ calls, rerouting incoming calls when appropriate, distributing messages to proper personnel, and providing staff support.
Using excellent customer service skills, the Member Action Center Support Specialist works independently to answer phones and emails, and provide accurate and timely information to members.
This position reports to the Member Action Center Director.
- Answer all incoming phone calls and emails from members and identify the type of assistance the member needs, answer questions from members.
- Accurately document information exchanged during each call, or email, track grievances, and log the calls, emails, and grievances in the UnionWare database in a timely manner.
- Maintain Member Action Center email by responding to and answering emails from members and all other emails received in the Member Action Center email account.
- Engage with members in a friendly and professional manner while actively listening to their concerns, and notify individuals for follow up when appropriate.
- Field incoming calls in a timely manner, notify appropriate individuals for follow up if needed, manage your time effectively to keep up with incoming calls from the queue.
- Engage in organizing conversations with members to build a stronger union.
- Refer to contract language on communications with members where applicable.
- Maintain all data of members, dues, employers and all additional information held in data bases.
- Other work to ensure the achievement of the mission and goals of SEIU Healthcare Minnesota, including political campaigns, organizing, contract campaigns, job actions, blitz campaigns, supporting partner organizations, and other duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- 1+ year customer service experience preferably in a call center setting, fast-paced contact center environment or frequently communicating with customers by phone.
- Ability to communicate professionally and respectfully while providing customer service over the phone, in person, and in writing.
- Effective team participation by showing a willingness to assist and support others, and treating people with courtesy and respect, and appreciation to cultural differences.
- Ability to focus, listen, and ask questions when training and interacting with members.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability exercising excellent judgment and decision-making skills, and to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and be able to work collaboratively as part of a multicultural team.
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and working knowledge of a database.
- Ability to work 40 hours per pay week, Monday-Friday, periodic overtime will be required.
- High School diploma or equivalent GED.
- Bilingual or multilingual abilities are a plus.
Hourly wages and Benefits
This is a union position. Hourly wages and benefits subject to OPEIU Local 12 collective bargaining agreement and is expected to start at $21.07/hr. Final offer compensation and level will be commensurate with experience related to the position and in accordance with the rates of pay in the OPEIU Local 12 agreement. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, and tuition reimbursement.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Luchelle Stevens, Chief of Staff, at Luchelle.Stevens@seiuhcmn.org. Please use the subject line “your First Name Last Name_MAC Support Specialist”, updated with your information.
The position will remain open until filled. Interviews are on a rolling basis.