SEIU Healthcare Minnesota represents over 40,000 healthcare and long term care workers in hospitals, clinics, nursing home, and home care across Minnesota. SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is dedicated to building an organization which advances social and economic justice through work on local, state, national and even global policy issues which affect our members; our patients, residents and clients; and our communities. Focused on uniting workers in healthcare, long term care, and homecare, SEIU members are winning better wages, healthcare and more secure jobs for our communities, uniting their strength with their counterparts around the state and world to help ensure that workers benefit from today’s global economy.
This is a full-time position through September 2021, with the possibility of extension depending on the program’s results. SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is seeking a Canvass Coordinator to lead a team of canvassers who will have organizing conversations with home care workers who provide services to people with disabilities and seniors all across the state. Home care workers are often isolated from other people who do the same work as them and share similar struggles to theirs. Through organizing and becoming active in their union, they can discover the power of collective action and their own individual power as leaders of a statewide movement for recognition, fair treatment and professionalism for the vital work they do. The canvass coordinator will play a central role in bringing that opportunity for transformation and progress to more home care workers across the state. The canvass team will be based in St. Paul, and deployed from there to cities throughout Minnesota. Irregular hours, evening and weekend work will be required.
- Recruitment: Build a team of canvassers by recruiting from within local communities. Interview prospective staff and make personnel decisions, jointly with the union’s home care sector director.
- Team Building: Coach and develop canvassers, individually and as a group, to create a positive learning environment where each canvasser’s contributions and insights matter to the whole team. Instill a sense of deep responsibility and accountability to the work and to the learning.
- Staff Management: Ensure all staff are properly trained and consistently productive. Ensure that daily, weekly, and monthly goals are met or exceeded.
- Data Management: Create and implement systems to ensure that all required reporting is accurate and timely. Monitor and regularly analyze metrics. Ensure that data is properly entered into a database and tracking spreadsheets nightly.
- *Logistics:*Manage the logistics of traveling regularly throughout Minnesota, including booking hotels and tracking mileage.
- Canvassing: Canvass in the field, both to train and develop new and experienced staff in the field and as a member of the team responsible for achieving the overall goals of the canvass.
- Reporting: Regularly meet with and report to the home care sector director and the union’s leadership team. Written reports may be expected on occasion.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, including an understanding of systemic oppression based on race, class, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity. An understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low- and moderate-income families.
- Experience leading teams.
- A track record of managing programs that develop capacity to meet metrics-based goals.
- Experience working on social-justice issue campaigns and/or electoral campaigns, with a preference for work in a) a fund-raising canvass for a social justice organization and/or b) a labor union.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must have prior experience using a contact-tracking and turf-cutting database.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, metrics-driven work environment.
- Ability to work weekends and long, irregular hours, with significant travel throughout Minnesota.
- Must have reliable access to a vehicle with a valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
Salary and benefits are subject to existing policies and procedures, as well as individual qualifications. The position qualifies for health insurance coverage and Paid Time Off.
Qualified applicants may send a résumé, cover letter, and three references to Phillip Cryan, Executive Vice President of SEIU Healthcare Minnesota, at email@example.com.