SEIU Healthcare Minnesota is hiring Canvassers to help home care workers grow and strengthen their Union. Canvassers will knock on doors, make phone calls and talk to home care workers, supporting them in taking collective action and building their Union to improve their lives and the care they provide to the people with disabilities and seniors they serve. This entry-level position, which will last from now through the fall, will be on the front lines of that fight. Anyone with interest in social and economic justice and a positive attitude is encouraged to apply.
- Communicate with workers through house-visits and phone calls.
- Identify and recruit leaders among home care workers, getting them actively involved in the campaign to continue to win improvements for themselves and their clients.
- Work effectively both as part of a team and on your own.
- Take and give constructive feedback.
- Establish rapport with workers from diverse ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Visit home care workers at their homes in every type of neighborhood in Minnesota, while following guidelines to keep themselves and others safe from COVID and other risks.
- Be flexible.
- Be passionate about the fight to organize and improve the lives of home care workers and support them in winning union contract victories that bring them the recognition and respect they deserve.
- Any other responsibilities needed to build home care workers’ collective power.
- Excellent listening skills, especially the ability to draw out people’s individual stories by asking open-ended questions.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to record accurate information on each conversation with a home care worker.
- Experience working on your own, managing your time and being accountable for the results of your independent efforts.
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to describe what’s possible when people join together in a union and the ability to provide constructive feedback to coworkers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from widely varying ethnic, social and economic groups, and experiences of disability.
- Positive attitude and strong motivation.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle in good working condition. Must have proof of auto insurance.
- Fluency in a second language – especially Somali, Hmong, or Spanish – preferred.
This is a temporary position with a weekly salary of $760, with Paid Time Off accrued at a 30:1 rate. Temporary home care organizers are also paid a $400 monthly stipend for health insurance costs.
The position requires a lot of driving. All appropriately documented mileage will be reimbursed at the current federal mileage-reimbursement rate.
Work hours include evenings and weekends.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send a résumé and any references to SEIU Healthcare Minnesota Canvass Coordinator John Gamino at email@example.com.